Friday, 24 June 2011
Faves reads of 2011 (so far) ~ The Books!
In her words (which are so much better than mine ~
it’s already (nearly) half-way through the year (!)
and i am SUCH a huge fan of lists so i have created a kind of book blogger sharing-the-awesome book awards to celebrate all the cool stuff i’ve read so far this year. (which is just a fun-funky style book awards/survey thingy). i will be running it over three posts* staggered throughout the last week of june. (day one beginning this friday)
I’m afraid that I have a bit of a Titanic at the Oscars thing going on. Of the 27 books I have read so far this year a few are sweeping the boards. Sorry, but on the other hand you can tell I think they are really amazing.
1. favourite book read so far in 2011 ~ How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. I can not even begin to tell you how much I love this book. It’s pure brilliance and I’ll be reading everything else by meg Rosoff.
2. most powerful book ~ How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
3. brilliantly funny ~ The Demon’s Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan. It’s not a comedy but lots of giggly moments and fabulous one liners.
4. best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read ~ Where she Went by Gayle Foreman. *sob*
5. most beautiful story ~ Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
6. delicious rainy day comfort read ~ What my Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonja Sones. *sigh* I’ve re-read this four time now, I just love it.
7. adrenalin-fuelled, unputdownable award ~ Divergent by Veronica Roth
8. the beautiful prose award ~ Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. Oh my goodness Nova Ren Suma just has this ability with words, it really is magical.
9. most atmospheric and vivid setting ~ Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. The reservoir is like another character, a very scary one!
10. i-so-want-to-go-there award ~ Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohen and David Leviathan. New York, New York!
11. most original and imaginative ~ Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
12. best under-appreciated, hidden gem book The Education of Hailey Kendrick by Eileen Cook
13. i-had-no-idea-i-would-love this-so award ~ The Thief (Book 1 of The Queen’s Thief) by Megan Whalen Turner. I thought this was a typical adventure/quest book. It is SO much more.
14. most haunting story ~ The Invisible Bridge by Julia Orringer (not YA just FYI)
15. outside my comfort zone but gosh how i loved it ~ Seabiscuit by Laura Hillendbrand. non-ficiton about a racehorse and I couldn’t put it down!
16. series that i’m loving ~ The Queen’s Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
17. most memorable voice award ~ How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
18. completely awesome premise award ~ What Alice Forgot by Laine Moriarty. Alice loses ten years of memories, oh how things have changed.
19. would make the best movie ~ Divergent by Veronica Roth
20. want to re-read already ~ How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
So, yes, I guess we can safely say How I Live Now, Imaginary Girls and The Queen’s Thief will be in my top ten of the year 😀
Thanks for creating such a fun list Nomes, looking forward to Parts 2 and 3. Let me know if you’ve joined in so I can come see what your favourites are.
How I live Now!!! <333 Oh they fit perfectly for those categories 🙂
I liked The Thief.. I really should finish the series because it seems like EVERYBODY loves them 🙂
and ZOMG The Demon's Surrender! I swear to god, Jamie and Nick's one-liners killllled me, what an awesome book <3 fantastic list, I'm pretty sure Imaginary Girls is a must-read now!
I just got myself a copy of Imaginary Girls. I hope I like it as much as you did.
Audrey ~ I know How I Live now is all kinds of awesome! I like the Thief but I LOVED The Queen of Attolia – OMG what a book!!!!! I cna't wait to see what happens in the King of Attolia.
And Nick and Alan are brilliant they make me laugh and cry <3
Jess – Oh me too. I think people will love it or really not like it.
I have read so many mixed reviews for How I Live Now that I can't decide whether I want to read it or not. I really want to read What Alice Forgot!
Divergent!! I am seeing that on a few lists which I am happy about. I really need to read Imaginary Girls. Awesome list 🙂
Misha – Really? It's one of those books I LOVE so much I can't imagine anyone not liking it 🙂 What Alice Forgot is a perfect Sunday afternoon read.<3
Nic- Me too loved Divergent, so action packed, plus Four 🙂
Ok, I have to read Imaginary Girls next!!! As soon as I finish Libba Bray's Beauty Queens.
alright, how can i ignore your enthusiasm for imaginary girls? i must find a copy now 😀
and i love all the books that overlap here (same happened with me)
i loved how i live now as well. it was a completely absorbing experience and a haunting story.
i'm a little stuck on the thief :/ about half way through and i thought i'd be loving it a lot more by now … will read some more tonight when i go to bed 🙂
How I Live Now I'm going to hopefully read for a challenge I'm hosting over the summer!
I still need to buy Demon's Surrender!!!
YAY for Divergent!
I had the same kind of Titanic award hog thing going on over at my blog too: it was mostly between, DIVERGENT, BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY, and GAME OF THRONES.
great list! i have IMAGINARY GIRLS on my TBR, so i might have to move it up:)
Jacinda ~ oh the Demon's Surrender is such a treat, I loved it!
Karla ~ LOL I know some books are just brilliant. I adored A Game of Thrones. I can't wait for the next book to come out.
I had a hard time getting into How I Live Now because of the narrative style, but the story was very interesting.
Seems like What Alice Forgot is a popular choice. I can't believe I haven't read it.
And yes, Where She Went is a sob fest that I LOVED!
Thanks for sharing your list! Great choices.
How I Live Now is now on my Goodreads wishlist. It sounds fantastic!
And Demon's Surrender! I'm so excited to finally get my hands on that one.
Lovely list! 🙂
I must read all of these books! And The Education of Hailey Kendrick was SUCH a fun book–couldn't put that one down!
I'm going to have to get my hands on What Alice Forgot and Imaginary Girls! Also yeah, The Education of Hailey Kendrick is a cute read 🙂 Totally agree about the movie potential of Divergent!
Missie _ it took me about 20 pages then I was hooked. Thanks 🙂
Cara – Oh the Demon's Surrender is such a great end to the series!
Meredith – yes it's great isn't it. I really liked it.
Danya – they are such fabulous reads – enjoy!
I ordered The Thief yesterday. Can't wait until it comes! I'm glad you like it.
omg i love your new layout/theme. is it new? whatever it is, i'm in love with it.
also i really need to do this. i'm going to sign up now… hpefully it's not too late.
Misty – it's so great
Jordyn – Thank you! My friend Caroline did it for me. Hope you sign up I'll enjoy seeing your picks, I love books 🙂
opps meant love making book lists. Clearly I love books 🙂
Where she went had me sobbing too! And now I really want to get Imaginary Girls. *sigh* so much to choose from.
Love your list!
I haven't read How I live now but i have read another book by Meg Rosoff.
I really want to read 'What alice forgot'.
i also need to get around to reading the demons surrender. I love Mae and Nick.
Great list 🙂
Angie – Thanks 🙂
Abby – I'm planning to read everything by her 🙂 Ah Nick and Alan and Jamie and Mae and Sin – love those books
I so need to read The Thief already! It's been on my TBR for so long. The Education of Hailey Kendrick looks cute. Thanks!